Déesses de la Déco is French for Domestic Diva. I was talking with a design client recently and she marveled over the fact that I have a catering/baking business. In the course of the conversation, her eyes bulged when the topic of conversation turned to a quilt I was working on. She said, "You sew, too???" I have to pause and be grateful for my grandmothers who instilled in me a passion for most all things domestic—did I say that I don't generally do windows? I am eternally grateful that the Lord has taken the tidbits my grandmothers and home economics teachers taught me years ago, and "grown" my passions into activities that not only allow me to make a few extra bucks while serving others, but most importantly, are hugely therapeutic while traversing the wicked twists and turns of life.
My Mammaw (Dad's mom) taught me the basics of crochet as a small girl. She "showed" me how to do all that she taught me—never was there a printed crochet pattern involved. Needless to say, trying to read a pattern did nothing less that frustrate me for many years. Eight years ago I was going through a very difficult time in life—a time where life easily could have been more than I could bear. My neighbor was working on a "Scripture" afghan—an afghan that was made up of many different blocks, each symbolizing a specific verse in the Bible. I borrowed her pattern, and amazingly enough, I was able to "read" the pattern for the first time ever! This began a lengthy period of "crochet therapy", where I cranked out afghans faster than one would imagine! I truly believe it was God's perfect timing with my new-found skills that helped me maintain my composure through those trying times, and several that would soon come.
So now, during another one of "those times," I've spent many months in the kitchen enjoying the art of feeding others, as well as quilting, crocheting, cross stitching, reading, and working Sudoku puzzles to fill my "free time" and keep my mind sharp.
October 18,2013
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment