Saturday, September 20, 2008

Texan Travels to Texas, part 1


I arrived in Texas Thursday, and as I drove from DFW to the hotel in Plano, my heart raced, my taste buds tingled, and my feet ached to walk the aisles of local stores not found in PA. Some of the sights that drew my attention were Cavender's Boot City, Hobby Lobby, TJ MAXX (yes, they are in PA, but I was looking for another pillow sham to match the one I got at Robinson), Taco Bueno, Taco Cabana, Jason's Deli, Braum's, Blackeyed Pea, Razzoo's, and many others. My how the area has grown since I lived in North Texas nearly 20 years ago! Did I mention the Blue Bell Ice Cream truck I passed? It took all my resolve not to stop it and demand a taste!

The first item on the agenda (after the stop at TJ MAXX) was lunch at la Madeleine's for some incredible tomato basil soup, accompanied by a half Croque Monsieur and a salad. YUMMMMMMM! (I'm ready to have one built at South Hills Village or the Galleria...anywhere close to "home"!) After checking in at the hotel, I made my way to Allen to visit Michele and her family in their "new" home (they've been there about 2 years, but my first visit since they moved). They are in Waterford Parks, a beautiful new family-friendly community, close to all sorts of shopping (and eating!), yet "away" from all the hustle and bustle of the big city.

Brandon (3 years old) took me on a tour of the house, with the help of Dakota (a.k.a. "Big D"—Michele's white Shepherd/Husky mix) and Michele. He (Brandon) was wired to have company, and ran circles around the house to demonstrate his excitement. And then it was time for Heather (5 years old) to return from school. We walked down to the corner to meet her bus, and got to meet some of the neighbors, too. It took Heather a while to adjust to my presence, but I think she finally warmed up to me a bit. After another tour of the house, Heather introduced me to her Webkinz and showed me how the whole Webkinz online world worked. Apparently Heather inherited Auntie 'Drae's love for shopping, as Mom and Dad have had to reign in her "spending" to outfit her pets, paint and repaint their rooms, and whatever other options are available for spending the Webkinz money. What a hoot! Just goes to show that you're never to old to learn something new!

For dinner, we went to Jason's Deli where I indulged in a Club Sandwich with a trip to the salad bar, and a nice big refreshing glass of iced tea. Heather quickly finished her hot dog and was ready for a trip to the ice cream machine...we tested her patience by having her wait until Brandon finished his mac & cheese...and off we went! Ice cream for all! Brandon wore his well, and Heather had to switch from her cone to her mom's cup once she got to where her missing front teeth kept her from being able to eat the cone.

Once we returned to their house, it was time for a game of Hide 'N Seek! Auntie 'Drae has not played H&S since she was 10 or 12 with the neighbor's granddaughter at Mammaw's house in Tolar. It's amazing how, as we get older, we lose our ability to "fit" in the best hiding spots! The pantry was a bit of a tight squeeze...but Brandon and I were able to stay still until Heather and Michele found us. Then it was the kids looking for the adults...Michele and I made our way to their media room and squeezed in between the wall and the end seats. I haven't had so much fun in a long time! But the bewitching hour was upon us, so I made my way back to the hotel and left the kids to their baths and bedtime.

On the way back to the hotel, I stopped at a SUPER Target (are there any of these in PA?) and loaded up on a few items that I "needed" for my stay. Of course, I could not pass by the frozen food section without adding a half-gallon of Blue Bell Ice Cream to my cart. I was hoping to find the elusive Peanut Butter Cup flavor (very seasonal), but "settled" for the Chocolate Extreme—chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cups, fudge ripple, pecans, almonds, and walnuts. They had a new flavor—Snickerdoodle, a cinnamon ice cream with snickerdoodle cookies in it—but the chocolate and peanut butter lover in me won out. With wonderful ice cream choices like these, it's no wonder the cows think Brenham is Heaven! Hands down, the BEST ice cream in the country!!!

Another item that found it's way in my cart was Texas' own ZiegenBock beer...and beautiful amber brewed right here in the heart of Texas! Every time I come to Texas, I try to bring some back with me. It's been more than a year since my last trip to Texas, and thanks to my "frugal" indulgances, I believe there is one left in the fridge in Eighty Four from the last trip!

Friday came with several work details to tend to, and some other projects to work on (which will be discussed in a later post). After a day of work and relaxation, I went for a drive around the North Dallas area and found myself at the Black-eyed Pea for dinner. They have the BEST rolls and cornbread I've ever had, not to mention the yummy fried okra! The menu still had my home-style favorites on it, but alas, a new addition—FRIED PICKLES! The only place I've ever had them was at Razzoo's in Sugar Land, and let me just tell you, I was very tempted, but decided that there was NO WAY I could eat an appetizer AND my dinner, too! Another new item on their menu—so new it is not even shown online—is their FRIED GUACAMOLE! They described it as an avocado filled with sour cream and pico de gallo, then battered and deep fried. Ok, I'm NOT a fan of avocados or guacamole, but this sounded interesting, if avocado's are on your list of favorites.

So this morning, in addition to wasting time on the computer, I'm getting ready to go watch Brandon play his first soccer game. I understand he loves to run, and he's looking forward to Auntie 'Drae cheering him on. I don't think he realizes yet what a big mouth the Lord gave his Auntie 'Drae, but hopefully it won't embarass him too terribly much! Then, off to lunch with Michele! I'm hoping we'll make it up to Denton for a trip to New York Subway. Their #20 is just heavenly! I'm tellin' ya folks, this is NOT the Subway sandwich the Jared eats....this is a sandwich all it's own! The location adjacent to UNT has a very "New York Subway" interior, with maps and sports jerseys and other memorabelia all over the walls. Their cokes are blessed with the best crushed ice possible, and Coca-Cola (the REAL thing) is proudly served! Although it's been years since I lived in Denton, and was introduced to NY Subs, I still remember the wonderful sandwiches they serve, and every time I'm anywhere near Denton, I have to stop! For a long time, I was a big fan of the #3 and #4, pretty simple sandwiches, but my all-time favorite is the #20...the ALL STOPS ON THE SUBWAY! This heavenly concoction is a sampling of all the meats offered, with cheese and veggies of your choosing...I have them top it with oil & vinegar and little mayo and oregeno....and my mouth thinks it's died and gone to heaven! K, so I couldn't find a web site to link to for New York Subway, so I'll check it out while I'm there and add it if they have one.

More updates from Texas as the trip continues....stay tuned for lots of fun and surprises (and pictures, too!)!

1 comment:

Cambu said...

Oh, I found your blog! I'm glad you are having a blast in Texas. Are you still there? Looks like you're having (or had) quite the adventure!

Love ya! Camille