Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fast Food vs. "Gourmet"

Ok, before I start, let me just say that I know, for a girl wanting to see less of me in the mirror each morning, fast food should be taboo....however, there are days where it's either fast food or nothing (not that I'm going to starve or anything) and then there are days where you just CRAVE something really unhealthy....some days I crave a Big Mac, others it's deep fried fish and hush puppies (Long John Silver's is the only place around here that qualifies for that taste), and like tonight, I was wanting some extra crispy fried chicken. KFC is the place for fried chicken around here....and unfortunately, I've not been successful in getting my fix the past couple of weeks.

One night last week I really wanted some extra crispy KFC with hot buscuits with butter and honey, but it was not to be. I pulled into the drive through and placed my order...10 pieces in a meal, expecting to have leftovers the next day...YUM! I get to the window, hand the gal my card, she swipes it, then comes back to say, "We only have 2 legs in extra crispy, what would you like to do?" And I'm thinking, they have breasts and thighs in extra crispy, but however many legs normally come with a 10 piece meal, they only have 2. Wrong! The ONLY extra crispy they had was 2 legs, period. No breasts. No thighs. Nuttin! And it will be 14 minutes before they have more extra crispy. Well, I must say, I'm a bit discriminating when I indulge in fast food....the extra crispy seems to be less greasy than the original, so I told the gal to forget it, I'd go somewhere else. Then I had to wait another 5 minutes for her to get the manager to come void the sale and credit my card what she'd already charged it. I'm thinking this gal was a few bricks shy of a full load...ok, maybe she only had a few bricks to her load, period!

Tonight I decided I would give it one more try. Fortunately, I wasn't craving extra crispy chicken, but my tastebuds would have been really happy to indulge. So I aim for a proactive strategy as I approach the menu board in the drive through. As a greeting, I was asked if I wanted to try their 7 piece meal for $9.99...you know, the meal they've been advertising so much on TV. (You'd think with so many dollars spent on advertising, they'd make sure they have enough food cooked to accommodate orders, especially 5:15-5:30 p.m. when folks are going home from work!) I asked if they had enough extra crispy to make a 7 piece meal....this time, they had all but breasts. After a brief assessment, I told her to forget it, but did comment on the fact that they have failed to have extra crispy each time I've stopped. She was unphased by the problem at hand...it wasn't her dinner plans running amuck!

What started out as plans for extra crispy fried chicken and mashed potatoes ended up being the highly "gourmet" home-cooked meal of hot dogs and baked beans! It was yummy, and probably "healthier" than the fried chicken, but I certainly would like to indulge in some friend chicken, soon! :)

No comments: