Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Happy Feet!

Disclaimer...these are not my feet, but a resemblance of how happy my feet are!

When I was younger, I had a couple of pairs of off-brand ropers (cowboy boots) that were worn mostly for going out dancing. Just prior to Ryan's arrival, I got a pair of custom-made red snakeskin boots. And then along came Ryan and my feet have not been the same since! Before, I was wearing an 8 or 8 1/2 shoe/boot, and after, I'm lucky if I can get into an 8 1/2, usually have to have a 9 or 9 1/2. Needless to say, the boots no longer fit, comfortably, and with our move to Utah, I just quit wearing them.

Several years ago I stopped at Cavender's Boot City in Houston to check out getting a new pair of boots, and while I found out what size I needed, I didn't have the money to get them at the time, so I kept the information and planned on ordering them online....which never happened. During my recent trip to Texas, I was determined to get a new pair of boots. However, when Michele and I were in Denton Saturday, we were running short on time. After our run through the Braum's drive through for ice cream, we went to Foster's, the place in town for western wear. We couldn't very well take our ice cream into the store, and we didn't have time to finish and then shop. Since they had an "Open Sunday" sign on the building, I decided to stop by after church Sunday morning. Church was over about 10:00 or so, and after some driving around town, I was at Foster's by 11:00. They were not open. I found ways to waste time, and when they weren't open by noon, I left Denton and decided I'd find a Cavender's in Fort Worth or Dallas.

Monday I had a business meeting, then drove to Granbury to see my uncle. I chose not to stop at Cavender's on the way there, as I had several things I wanted to do before the sidewalks rolled up and the town closed for the evening. After visiting with my uncle, I made my way back to the hotel in Arlington where I spent my last night in Texas. It was located near Six Flags and the new Ranger Stadium, as well as the stadium they're building for the Cowboys. But, not having had dinner, more important than the stadiums and amusement park was the close proximity of Pappadeaux, my all time favorite place for seafood. I checked into the hotel and called Pappadeax to order take out—shrimp etoufeé with dirty rice. You'd think you'd died and gone to Cajun heaven! Despite the never-ending construction from point A to point B, I made my way to pick up my food and found my way back to my room. While what I took out in a plastic container and ate with plastic utensils didn't look as appetizing as the photo below (from a previous dine-in experience), it was OH SO YUMMERS! My tummy was happy and it was time for sleep!


The next morning I had to be back at the airport by 11:00 to return the rental car and catch my 1:00 flight back to PA. I made sure I ate breakfast and left the hotel in time to be at the very nearby Cavender's shortly after 9:00 and I was in cowhide heaven! They did not have a pair of red ropers in the store, so they had order them for me. I had done my homework prior to the trip—I had seen a pair of tan smooth ostrich ropers online and just my luck, they had them in stock! So I tried them on, too, but will have to get them at a later date...maybe Christmas? I also tried on a pair of low profile lace ups, which are waterproof and would be great for snowy days! Again, another order another day! Before they'd sent the pair I ordered, I was on the phone asking for a black pair, too!

The smooth ostrich (only available in men's but they fit beautifully!)


The lace-ups


The black and the red ropers....ahhhhh....feet heaven!

So now my feet are wonderfully happy! I always had a theory about boots (remember, I owned off-brand boots long ago)—they hurt when you first got them, felt great once they were broken in, and then hurt again when it was time to get a new pair. Let me just tell you, these Justin ropers fit like exotic gloves—perfect fit and incredible feel! I can wear them all day and not feel like I have to yank them off when I get home, like I do with other shoes. The only "problem" I've found with them is that there is a tendency to slip and slid a bit when taking the trash down the gravel drive....

No comments: